[mythtv-users] Strange mythweb OT: Force Mythweb to mobile for iphone?

Chase Douglas chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 03:42:45 UTC 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 10:23 PM, Jim Cuzella wrote:
> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> The same way a moose compares to a log cabin.
>>
>> Maybe you should look at what mythweb actually is.
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythweb
>>
>> -Brad
>>
> Hehe, I was assuming that mythweb would allow sending control commands
> to a frontend/backend if they were on the same machine.  My
> bad :P... I
> had forgotten about the client/server model due to my own single
> machine
> setup.
>
> I apologize for being off topic, however, that gives me a good idea
> for
> another form of interface to mythfrontend. With MyMote, there are some
> problems due to how the iPhone chooses to shut down it's wifi
> interface
> after a certain amount of time, and when auto-sleep is triggered.  It
> seems to enjoy both long battery life, and device disconnection
> tolerance, a web interface would have several advantages.  State can
> be
> saved on the frontend's web server with cookies, and the server does
> not
> care whether or not the remote has internet connection.
> Authentication
> and security are handled by the iPhone's web browser, interface
> updates
> can be requested as needed through javascript.  Then, the only problem
> arises from avoiding browser crashes.

I found the hidden setting in the iPhone SDK recently that disables
the automatic WiFi disconnection after 30 mins, so the latest release
on the App Store has that issue fixed. I also completely disable auto-
sleep on my iPhone. Those should fix your issues, though a cross-
platform mythweb approach wouldn't be a terrible idea either.