[mythtv-users] Strange mythweb OT: Force Mythweb to mobile for iphone?

Chase Douglas chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 03:38:02 UTC 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 9:08 PM, Jim Cuzella wrote:
> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> On Jan 19, 2009, at 3:02 PM, Anthony Giggins wrote:
>>
>>> Off Topic, is it possible to force mythweb to Mobile to view nicely
>>> on the
>>> iphone?
>>
>> You don't like the current mythweb on your iphone? I kind of like
>> it. :)
>> If you want a mobile view, you can certainly choose the mobile
>> template. Go to Mythweb Settings for Mythweb and change your template
>> for your current session.
>>
>> In other news, a new template is being made specifically for the iPod
>> (just noticed in trunk) and from what I see, it's really pretty.
>>
>> -Brad
> Brad,
>
> How does this mythweb interface compare in your opinion to the MyMote
> app?  I have experienced some issues with MyMote losing connection due
> to my iPod Touch's auto-sleep feature.  Also, in my opinion, the
> security holes introduced by changing to a default password &
> opening up
> MySQL server to all IP connections are very risky, and ill-designed
> (assuming I didn't miss something).  A short PIN number is NOT good
> security, and easily brute forceable.

I developed MyMote so I can explain a little bit about how I
envisioned the security environment around it. MythTV uses an
extremely insecure interface for remote control. Instead of doing
crazy things like trying to provide the ability to tunnel connections
over ssh, I realized that anyone who is using MyMote is almost always
doing so on their own network. Thus, if you trust your router's
firewall, you can feel safe enough to open up the MythTV remote
control port. If you feel that safe, then you should feel safe enough
to only open up your MySQL MythTV database to your own local network's
address range, which usually consists of unroutable addresses anyways.
There's virtual no chance of someone faking that from the internet
unless they really REALLY wanted to find out what your keybindings
were... So that leaves the security PIN interface, which again is
firewalled from the internet. As long as you don't worry about someone
getting on your network and brute forcing your PIN to MythTV, I
wouldn't worry about it too much.

So MyMote and MythTV security boil down to a few questions:

1. Do you trust that you can keep people off your local network?
2. Do you trust your firewall to keep people out of your local network
on the MythTV XML and remote control interface ports?
3. Do you trust the people who do have access to your local network?

All "yes" answers at a 99% confidence level are good enough for me,
and I hope most people as well.

P.S.: There's no need for some sort of default password to be set for
MyMote to work. Also, any further discussion of MyMote is really OT to
this topic as well, as MyMote and Mythweb have extremely little
functionality overlap.