[mythtv-users] nvidia 177.82 pegs mythfrontend when xscreensaver activates during paused program?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 07:09:05 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 1:45 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> says:
>> Has anyone experienced the freezes described here using the 180.22
>> drivers:
>>
>> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=123912
>>
>> Except for the fact that I get a black screen rather than the
>> corrupted video described there, this is very much like what I'm
>> running into with 177.82.
>
> I use 173.14 and have seen the hangs (of the type you describe, with a
> black screen) on my frontend . . .
>
>> I neglected to mention in my original post that I'm using xv-blit
>> output with opengl sync enabled.
>
> . . . only when I enable OpenGL sync in mythfrontend (I also use
> xv-blit, as most MythTV users do). Enabling it reliably causes a hang
> within an hour or two. I can't figure out what triggers it, exactly,
> but am pretty sure I've seen it outside playback (such as while
> looking over a list of upcoming movies).
>
> Disabling OpenGL sync is no hardship; as I've mentioned in a few
> other messages over the past few years, RTC works just as well as
> OpenGL does in my experience.
>
> --
> Frontend:               P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array
> Backend:                Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 6.6TB sw RAID 6
> Video inputs:           Four high-definition over FireWire/OTA
> Accessories:            47" 1080p LCD, 5.1 digital, and MX-600

The timing of your post is amazing...I just experienced a freeze as in
my original post (when xscreensaver kicked in during a paused
program), only this time with the 173.14.15 driver.

I may try disabling OpenGL VSync.  Is RTC what gets used as long as
opengl sync is disabled?

I hope you're right about that being just as good.  I have a native
1080i RP CRT and am stuck deinterlacing with that hack that allows bob
x2 with 1080i ouput.  I don't remember offhand is opengl sync was
crucial to getting that to look good, but I know it wasn't an easy
process getting rid of the tearing.

Thanks for the reply.

Tom