[mythtv-users] HDHR problems (Recorder offline/everything busy/dual recordings)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 01:46:46 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 4:40 PM, John Finlay <finlay at moeraki.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

>> If you have a Windows box on your net you could download, install and run
>> the Silicondust GUI config program on it:
>>
>> http://www.silicondust.com/downloads
>>
>> If you only have Linux then you could download the source code and build the
>> program before running it.
>>
>> The program will show you if the HDHR is available on your network. You can
>> scan for channels and if you allow it to install VLC (Windows) or install
>> VLC (Linux) you can watch live TV in VLC. This will confirm that the HDHR is
>> installed and working properly,
>>
>> John
>
> John,
>   I've got the Config GUI installed on my Vista box. When I run it
> the VLC stuff is currently grayed out. Did I not install it correctly
> yesterday? Maybe it was an option I didn't select?
>
>   What is VLC anyway?
>
>   The Config GUI itself seems work. I can change tuners and channels
> and I get different signal strengths. It seems to be alive.
>
>   For a couple of minutes I had messy video in Windows Media Center.
> It looked OK, and the sound was fine, but it came and went.
> Unfortunately the WMC app seemed to crash which then left the tuner in
> the HDHR broadcasting and my wireless network came to almost a
> complete halt until I pulled the power on the HDHR to reboot it.
> Messy.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Found and installed the VLC stuff. With that I managed to get the
thing to display some channels on my Vista laptop. Seems that none of
it will get across my house on wireless right now without severe
breakups. that's two wireless jumps and 150 feet or so.

Early days yet but at least it's functioning. Lots to learn.

Thanks,
Mark