[mythtv-users] HDHR problems (Recorder offline/everything busy/dual recordings)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 00:59:40 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 4:40 PM, John Finlay <finlay at moeraki.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>   I've been attempting my first setup of my new HDHR this morning.
>> Many things seem to have gone OK but now I'm a bit stumped. Thanks in
>> advance for any guidance.
>>
>>   I suspect these are probably all the same issue:
>>
>> 1) When I attempt to watch Live TV on a digital channel by typing in
>> 7.1 on the Live TV page I get the message "MythTV is already using all
>> the available inputs for the channel you selected." Channel
>> 7 using the PVR-150 will play but 7.1 using the HDHR doesn't.
>>
>> 2) When I look at the Upcoming Recordings menu I see that the master
>> back end is attempting to record most programs twice - once using the
>> PVRs and a second copy using the HDHR. However the HDHR line is
>> yellow. The message at the bottom says "Recorder Off-Line"
>>
>> 3) For some programs it appears that the backend is requesting two
>> recordings be made at the same time and same channel.
>>
>>   I am seeing more or less correct data in the Program Listings. At
>> least a few of the channels are visible and the program listing looks
>> reasonable.
>>
>>   I'm not clear if the slave backend is ready to operate. It seems to
>> be set up and recognized but it hasn't recorded anything yet, nor have
>> I viewed HDTV using any application on Linux or Windows.
>>
>>   Is there a way to cat HDTV video to a file for test purposes, as is
>> possible with the PVRs?
>>
>>   Let me know what sort of debug data is required and I'll attempt to
>> get it. If this isn't fixable in the next few hours then I need to get
>> this thing disconnected from the master backend so that tonight's
>> recordings don't get messed up.
>>

> If you have a Windows box on your net you could download, install and run
> the Silicondust GUI config program on it:
>
> http://www.silicondust.com/downloads
>
> If you only have Linux then you could download the source code and build the
> program before running it.
>
> The program will show you if the HDHR is available on your network. You can
> scan for channels and if you allow it to install VLC (Windows) or install
> VLC (Linux) you can watch live TV in VLC. This will confirm that the HDHR is
> installed and working properly,
>
> John

John,
   I've got the Config GUI installed on my Vista box. When I run it
the VLC stuff is currently grayed out. Did I not install it correctly
yesterday? Maybe it was an option I didn't select?

   What is VLC anyway?

   The Config GUI itself seems work. I can change tuners and channels
and I get different signal strengths. It seems to be alive.

   For a couple of minutes I had messy video in Windows Media Center.
It looked OK, and the sound was fine, but it came and went.
Unfortunately the WMC app seemed to crash which then left the tuner in
the HDHR broadcasting and my wireless network came to almost a
complete halt until I pulled the power on the HDHR to reboot it.
Messy.

Thanks,
Mark