[mythtv-users] Myth Weird Behavior With VDPAU, Other Questions

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Sun Jan 18 00:47:56 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 6:37 AM, Delphi Real Estate <
Info at delphi-real-estate.com> wrote:

> Running Myth trunk 19669 and nVidia binary driver 180.22 with VDPAU, and
> have frontend Setup|Setup|TVSettings|Plaback|{3rd screen} set up as a VDPAU
> profile. (> 0 0 vdpau vdpau)  Watching any ATSC recording is usually fine,
> except when there are video breakups as when I get bad reception.  This
> often happens because I have a weak signal on certain channels so I imagine
> there are broken packets during those intervals.
>
> But Myth's VDPAU can't tolerate these and crashes out of the frontend
> entirely with a segfault.  It's been necessary for me to switch back to the
> CPU++ profile so I can watch some shows.  Can VDPAU be made more tolerant?
>
> Another question: When I set Live Preview to use hardware acceleration, the
> whole screen turns blank green until I arrow up or down and then the display
> comes partially back with still green background.  This only happens with
> the VDPAU profile and with HA of Live Preview. Any idea why?
>

> Also, Myth is not turning back on my DPMS when I exit.  Any idea why?
>
> I've set my Program Guide to have 10 lines, but now the text is too large.
>  How to reduce size, and put channel#s on same line as call letters?
>
> Is there any way to put a clock on the Watch Recordings page?  Is there any
> way to mark the recorded programs with length, rather than times they were
> on?  I don't care what time they were on.
>
> I am having trouble Watching TV.  I select that, the screen goes black for
> a couple seconds, but then reverts back to the menu.  How to troubleshoot
> this?
>
> Not getting a /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log.  Any idea why?
>
> I can not figure out how to transcode ATSC mpeg2 to H.264.  Tried
> mythnuv2mkv script, but it doesn't respond and there's no error log.  Is
> there another way to transcode by setting up a user job?
>
> With newer versions of Myth, in the Watch Recorded Shows menu you can no
> longer right-arrow to get Job Options.  How to do that now?

It's my understanding that unless you are a developer, or helping a
developer test new options, then you should not be running trunk.  Trunk is
not even guaranteed to compile, let alone record and play back tv.  It is
stated all over the wiki and web page that trunk is bleeding edge and
broken.  During the QT4 migration NOTHING worked in it.  Why are you having
such a hard time understanding this?

If your goal is to help debug VDAPU then I'm certain that if you attached a
debugger and figured out where it is crashing with invalid streams that the
developers would happily accept a patch.  I'd even bet that if you put
forward a small clip of a video that crashes it and posted it as a use case
on the wiki that it'd be appreciated as well.

Attacking people in the mythtv community for telling you that VDAPU (and
trunk in general) is not stable or intended for use is probably not
appreciated.

If you ran into these bugs in -fixes then people would be a lot more
interested in helping you.

Would you rather have the developers close SVN, and only publicly put out
final releases?