[mythtv-users] Using Myth to display a specific JPEG?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Jan 14 17:46:38 UTC 2009

On Jan 14, 2009, at 9:32 AM, Joe Borne wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm looking for a way to have MythTV display a specific jpg image I
> retrieve off the web daily. I kinda figured I could do this with
> MythGallery, but I don't want to have to go to MythGallery, find the
> image, select it and hit view. I'm looking to just create a main menu
> entry that when clicked displays the jpg and will obey the ESC command
> from my remote to exit it.
>
> Any ideas?

So many ideas.. where to begin?

EXEC menu types can execute any script. Once the script ends, mythtv
will become functional again.
So.. write a script in your choice of language that ends when pressing
the ESC key and launch it from the menu.

Adjust your theme to display a hard-coded image of your choice when
selecting a particular menu item and use your script replace the image
daily.

Also, something like this was posted to trac recently to display
content from a url onto a menu page. I just sort of skimmed it because
it didn't seem interesting to me at the time, but I think that was the
jist of it. Should make for some interestingly broken themes when the
urls no longer resolve. ;)

-Brad