[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct, Google checkout and credit checks

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Tue Jan 6 14:25:52 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 7:38 AM,  <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 7:36 AM, steve <sfreilly at roadrunner.com> wrote:
>> lanas wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> >   I was just about to subscribe for a year to Schedules Direct when I
>> > started to read the terms of utilization of the Google Checkout thing
>> > that Schedules Direct is using.  In which terms we find that Google
>> > can run periodically credit checks on the user to verify if the user
>> > can still use their service.
>> >
>> >   I don't think that Amazon runs credit checks on their customers.  I
>> > don't think that any other store does.  Hell, I'm not borrowing money,
>> > this is buying something.  Either the credit card works or does not.
>> > Either I pay my credit card bill or I don't.  This is my problem, not
>> > theirs. I think they're getting too far by allowing to run credit
>> > checks in their terms of use.
>>
>> i wouldnt worry about it.  without a ss# they cant do a hard inquiry.
>>

> They can't even do a soft inquiry without a ssn. This just seems like a poor
> choice of words on their part. They don't have a enough information to make
> an inquiry with the credit bureaus. They only have a billing address and
> your normal credit card info. I believe this line is referring to them
> checking if the credit card is still valid. Most merchants can do a
> pre-authorization check to see if the card will work.

I don't even see anything in their terms of service that mentions
periodic checks, so I'm wondering what the OP is referring to.
Additionally, the credit card  on my Google checkout account has been
invalid for many months (six?) - yet Google checkout allowed me go all
the way through and submit my purchase.  Only after clicking on the
final "pay" button did it say:

	An attempt to authorize $20.00 to your credit card (DISCOVER xxx-1519) failed.

So it would appear that they do NOT do periodic checks.

   Marc