[mythtv-users] Evo Smart Console

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Thu Feb 12 23:16:14 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 3:54 PM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:

> im sure it would work, looks like a standard PC.  But really $700?
> You could build or buy a prebuilt PC that is much more capable and
> install MythDora, MythBuntu and save a few hundred dollars.

And based on the specs, it wouldn't make a good frontend for HD. The CPU is
too slow for software decode of high bitrate 1080p h264 or VC-1 and the GPU
is ATI, so no VDPAU. It's nothing more than a mini-ITX based system with a
slimline DVD burner in a small case. You could build the same thing for
<$400 with a VDPAU capable board and have everything you would ever need for
games or Myth. I've even seen a case that looks almost exactly the same with
power supply for about $100.

It can't record 1080p, 1080i sure. But that's nothing a cheap ATSC tuner
can't do. There is no source for 1080p for it to record. Nothing is
transmitted in that format, it's available on Blu-Ray, but that's about it.
Playback is iffy, the GPU might support it, but there is no software to use
the ATI GPU for that on Linux. So at best, they are being misleading.