[mythtv-users] Commercial PVR offerings - is MythTv still competitive ?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Feb 10 15:04:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 09:32:17AM -0500, George Mogielnicki wrote:
> I think you did not follow the post from the beginning. Unfortunately,
> this is happening a lot on this thread, just knee jerk reactions to the
> latest snippet. Let me try again:
>
> I'm a mythv user for at least 3 or 4 years (my first was Fedora 3 or 4
> using Jarod Wilson guide). I have a working SD system on Happauge 150
> card, 2TB of raid storage on NFS, etc... I'm not afraid of Linux and
> command line, my kids have ltsp workstations running ubuntu, Windows is
> relegated to vmware, I run lots of Linux server and desktop stuff at home
>
> I already have something ugly sitting next to my audio rack. If I ugrade,
> I want an improvement - small, CF boot, silent as possible, has to play
> 1080 HD, hence miniItx. For this configuration VDPAU is a must at least
> from thermal point of view.

    Well... it depends.

    vdpau is not a requirement. It's not a requirement for HD in general.
It's not even a requirement for h264 HD in particular. It's more a
convenience than anything else. It also should make the system cheaper.
The interest in VDPAU here centers mainly around the recently released
HD-PVR and bluray rips. People have been doing HD here already.

    I already have a box that sits nicely in the A/V amoire and does a
pretty good job decoding HD captures from the HD-PVR.

    For the HD Homerun, all any machine in the house will handle the
HD recordings including the AppleTV in the bedroom. The AppleTV can
even almost manage the HD h264 recordings.

[deletia]

    If the HD-PVR spat out MPEG2 or DIVX, the interest here over
vdpau would probably be minimal.