[mythtv-users] Commercial PVR offerings - is MythTv still competitive ?

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Tue Feb 10 04:26:36 UTC 2009

George Mogielnicki wrote:

[deleted]

> I just have hard time to justify the $500 expense and time involved in
> compiling and troubleshooting VDPAU,  when a working alternative covering
> basics costs so little. The remote even has 30 second forward skip...

You won't be spending time compiling and troubleshooting VDPAU, because
it's not part of a stable release yet.

Since you're not yet a mythtv user, I'm assuming you're not willing to
commit to running the latest bleeding-edge myth release, for which you
do have to compile your own code, and follow along on the dev mailing
list to keep up on what's changed, what's broken, what's working, etc.

A better option for you would be to start without the HDPVR, and just
try out Mythtv with existing hardware you might already have, using
MPEG2 and SD or OTA, on the latest stable release.  Or if you don't
already have the hardware, buy something that can be upgraded or
re-purposed.  Don't start with the Mini-ITX system, start with something
ugly that just sits next to the tv, and is relatively quiet, not
necessarily silent, but a lot cheaper.

Then, once you get a sense of whether the software and features are
worth it to you, then start planning how you'll want to upgrade it.  Or,
  if it's not worth it to you, bask in the self-satisfaction that you
spent little or no money to find out.