[mythtv-users] [RANT] mythtv-users] Deal with non-HD in SD only frontends?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Dec 25 04:38:21 UTC 2009

On 12/24/2009 10:46 PM, David L wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>  wrote:
>> On 12/24/2009 12:05 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
>>> On Thu, 2009-12-24 at 08:50 -0800, David L wrote:
>>>> This page:
>>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_Channel_Editor#Edit_Channels
>>>> says to "Fill in the fields for the current channel, especially the
>>>> XMLTV ID" which I did, but it didn't seem to change anything.
>>>> So what is the magic incantation (or the obvious thing that I'm
>>>> missing) to make this work?
>>> Did you run "mythfilldatabase" after making XMLTVID changes?
> Yes, I had done that.
>> And likely you'll need
>> mythfilldatabase --refresh-all
> I hadn't done that, so I tried it.  That didn't seem to help either.
> I tried rescanning the channels, then re-editing the channels,
> and then re-running "mythfilldatabase --refresh-all".  The
> channels still have the wrong name and wrong program info.
> For example, when I watch live TV, I can see that channel 15
> is the Discovery Channel.  Schedules Direct says Discovery
> is channel 29 with an xmltv id of 12500.  So in the
> channel editor for channel 15, I changed the name from
> Public Access to Discovery and changed the xmltv id to
> 12500.  Then I exited the channel editor and ran
> "mythfilldatabase --refresh-all
> Then I started mythfrontend live tv, changed to the tuner
> connected to comcast and changed to channel 15.  It still
> thinks it's Public Access and doesn't have program guide
> data for the Discovery channel either.  I tried rebooting
> after this whole process and that didn't seem to make a
> difference either.  Any other ideas about what I'm doing
> wrong?

Going from memory here, but iirc, you had a setup with an antenna feed 
and you changed to a Comcast cable input. Then you scanned, got some 
usable channels but cannot get the schedules direct listings to come out 
I presume from what you have stated that you created a  new lineup.
I also presume we are talking about .22-fixes or trunk.

What you probably missed is one of a number of things, one of which may 
actually be a bug in mythtv-setup (which did not exist prior to say SVN 

First: go into mythtv-setup, and check that the you have us-cable set 
for the tuning basis, for the HDHR tuners. (Remember, they were set to 
Second: make sure that you have the correct lineup selected in the 
'Video Source' settings, including setting the correct tuning basis. 
(Not broadcast!)
The lineup selection settings may not 'stick'...I am not sure if this 
was my operator error, or a mythtv-setup bug, but when I recently added 
a new ATSC tuner and third lineup, and then checked my other tuners, 
mythtv-setup changed the lineup on the others, to the new third. That 
is, it came up with the third lineup as the 'new' default for the second 
tuner, NOT the second lineup previously set for that tuner. This meant, 
for example, that I was about to attempt to record from an analogue 
tuner using a digital lineup...(Yeh, good luck with that Geoff!).

Lastly, on the Input Connections page, there is a second page for each 

Since I had been installing a digital tuner, but things got bent, I 
ended up with a tuner group of HDHR, for an analogue tuner (PVR500), 
Tuner groups are supposed to consist ONLY of tuners of the same sort (so 
that myth is able (entitled) to choose any one of the group, to tune 
channels within the group's range). I suspect that this was an artifact 
or result of the other problem. I did not set out to change my analogue 
tuner setup, but the lineup got changed to a digital lineup, and I 
suspect this forced a change in the tuner group....NOI SURE...but things 
ended up not correct.

I suspect that your problem is either the second or third problem, most 
likely the second, since you say you get listings, but they are wrong. 
This means there is a lineup, but it is not correctly matched with the 
channels you get.

If these pokes and prods do not work, there is always the channel 
editor. Go into live TV, change to a channel using this tuner, determine 
what program is on (zap2it.com/listings is useful to figure out that 
what you are seeing is on channel X), then press 'E' and fill in the 
call-sign and xmltvid data. If you hover you mouse over the channel 'X' 
logo/name in the leftmost column of the listings page at zap2it, the 
xmltvid is revealed as part of 'number=12345' in the status line, 
showing the URL link for that logo/name etc. (Schedules Direct has the 
same info, but you cannot look at a live guide listing at the same time).

mythfilldatabase --refresh-all when done.

Good luck.


         Please let me know if anything I say offends you.
          I may wish to offend you again in the future.

          Tux says: "Be regular. Eat cron flakes."

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list