[mythtv-users] [RANT] mythtv-users] Deal with non-HD in SD only frontends?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Dec 26 07:10:30 UTC 2009

On 12/26/2009 01:22 AM, David L wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 8:13 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 12/24/2009 10:46 PM, David L wrote:
>>
>>> I hadn't done that, so I tried it.  That didn't seem to help either.
>>> I tried rescanning the channels, then re-editing the channels,
>>> and then re-running "mythfilldatabase --refresh-all".  The
>>> channels still have the wrong name and wrong program info.
>>>

>> If that's the case (wrong name/numbers), your best bet is the video sources
>> portion of http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034
>>

> Thanks for the response Michael.  I read that thread... there is a
> broken link in the thread.

Ah, it's http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_Channel_Editor (wiki got
rearranges and the index.php shouldn't be in URI's, anymore).

>    I tried starting from scratch, but it
> didn't seem to help (although perhaps if I followed the directions
> in the broken link, it would have helped).  However, if I delete
> all capture cards and start from scratch, I've had some success
> if I use the channel editor to edit the channel number and the xmltv id
> BEFORE running mythfilldatabase for the first time after starting from
> scratch.

Right.  That's the approach you want to use.

>   Once I've run mythfilldatabase once, the channel editor
> seems to have no effect wrt program guide data.  So far, I've only
> tried on a single channel because it's a time intensive process watching
> each channel trying to figure out what channel it really is.  So I've started
> on a random channel which happened to be history channel international
> (HISI).  HISI shows up as channel 276 in my schedules direct lineup,
> but it shows up as channel 13 after scanning (at least some of the time,
> I've seen the Discovery channel change from 14 to 15 in two consecutive
> scans, so I don't know wtf is going on).

Your cable operator is sending garbage for your channel
information--most likely it's out-of-band information in the form of
SCTE65 data--so, since Myth doesn't find any useful information in the
stream, it makes stuff up.

>   If I use the channel editor
> for channel 13 to change the channel number to 276 and the xmltv id to
> 18822 (the xmltv id for HISI) and then run mythfilldatabase, the program
> guide for channel 276 is correct.  If I change the order and do the
> mythfilldatabase first and edit the channel second and then try another
> mythfilldatabase, I can't get the correct channel guide data for HISI.  So
> I think I have a process for getting things working although I've yet to try
> it on all 70+ channels I receive.  Quite a pain in the ass though.
>
> I'll follow up with more updates as I learn more.  If this problem rings
> a bell for anybody and they know how to solve it without manually
> editing every channel before running mythfilldatabase for the firs t
> time, let me know and perhaps I can save a day of my xmas break!

If you're using Comcast (or another provider using SCTE65, see
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Comcast_Users_And_scte65scan (which will
solve all your problems).

Mike