[mythtv-users] Uninterruptible Power Supply

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Dec 22 14:53:14 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 22 December 2009 07:40:26 am John Drescher wrote:
> > I have a UPS on my system. As I recall, I think it will give me about
> > 40 minutes of runtime with my setup. However, in my personal
> > experience here where I live, I can't remember the last time I had a
> > power outage that lasted more then 5 minutes but didn't go into the
> > several hour range
>
> For me the main problems are wind and lightning. I live on top of a
> mountain by close to the Pittsburgh Airport. When the winds hit 50 to
> 70 MPH (as they do for a few days each year) the power goes out
> probably once or twice a year for usually 30 to 90 minutes long and
> probably also 8 to 12 other outages that last less than 15 minutes.
> Lightning usually causes the shorter outages. And being on top of a
> mountain this is quite a light show when the power gets tested but the
> lines are still down.. 1 time since 2004 this power outage lasted over
> 6 hours.

A common situation with transmitter sites around here, which tend to be
located on mountain tops.

Protection in such situations is complex and expensive, and definitely not
100% effective even then.

Longer-term backup power is generally supplied by generators, with UPS
systems providing power long enough to ensure a good transition to the
generators.

You also want a good grounding system, rarely encountered in residences.

The more money you throw at the problem the better solution you might
get, but things get expensive fast.

I guess the bottom line is: It's only television, how much do you want to
spend protecting it?