[mythtv-users] Uninterruptible Power Supply

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 14:40:26 UTC 2009

> I have a UPS on my system. As I recall, I think it will give me about
> 40 minutes of runtime with my setup. However, in my personal
> experience here where I live, I can't remember the last time I had a
> power outage that lasted more then 5 minutes but didn't go into the
> several hour range

For me the main problems are wind and lightning. I live on top of a
mountain by close to the Pittsburgh Airport. When the winds hit 50 to
70 MPH (as they do for a few days each year) the power goes out
probably once or twice a year for usually 30 to 90 minutes long and
probably also 8 to 12 other outages that last less than 15 minutes.
Lightning usually causes the shorter outages. And being on top of a
mountain this is quite a light show when the power gets tested but the
lines are still down.. 1 time since 2004 this power outage lasted over
6 hours.

John