[mythtv-users] Uninterruptible Power Supply

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Dec 22 14:22:42 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 22 December 2009 06:39:24 am Jan Ceuleers wrote:

> (For completeness: surge protection is a third benefit, but that can be
>  obtained by means of a surge protector as well, i.e. without a UPS).

True, but be aware that a lot of so-called "surge protectors" are pretty much
worthless. They can absorb a surge about equal to a gnat's wing beat, if
that.

Many also do not use self-healing devices, so after the first hit they are just
expensive power splitters, and I have never seen one that gives the user
any indication that it is no longer "protecting" anything.

A good quality surge protector using self-healing MOVs approaches the cost
of a low-end UPS, so I'd go that way.

Be careful of "joule" ratings:

"HYPE: The Joule jive; Some surge suppressor manufacturers want you to
believe that a superior surge product is based on its Joule rating. Joule
ratings are considered invalid measures of performance by both the
National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) and the Institute of
Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE). Joule ratings do not always
correlate to actual performance. In fact, some products have increased Joule
ratings without any of the components changing."