[mythtv-users] NewEgg Cheap Nvidia GT220 Cards

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 03:17:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 8:49 PM,  <backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org> wrote:
> The ugly:  Want to keep the 8.04 around for WAF reasons.  Booted to that
> with the new card and had X problems.  Figured I'd need a newer driver,
> but couldn't find one on synaptic with usual repos.  (This is my mistake
> I think-->)  Downloaded the 190 driver from the nvidia website and ran
> the shell script to install.  Still no joy.  Then I added
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu hardy main to my
> sources.list and installed nvidia-glx-190  Still no joy.  Put the old
> 8300GS back in X still doesn't work.  Tried backing the drivers out,
> going back to nvidia-glx-new and lots of other stuff.  No X whatsoever,
> except with the nv or generic drivers.
>
> So I am screwed on the WAF front, although the 8.04 backend can still
> record.  This isn't an X forum, so I don't expect advice on getting the
> driver to work (but advice is gladly accepted ;-)
>
> I have backups.  In fact this e-mail address I use was started as a
> throw-away e-mail for getting backuppc up and running, and I started
> using it here now.  Turns out backuppc runs with no help needed (great
> program!) and all I use this e-mail for is mythtv!
>
> Anyways, any suggestions on what files to restore from backup would be
> appreciated (yes, I already restored xorg.conf, after running
> nvidia-xconfig too many times), although that defeats the purpose of
> dpkg/apt
>
> I also have a semi-working 9.10, although the sound is screwed up there.
>  I went from alsa:default to alsa:surround and got some of the tracks
> back while watching a DVD, but sound was way out of sync.
>
> What to do!!??

I had a problem like this as well after trying to run the drivers
directly from nvidia. For one, make sure you use their script to
uninstall. If you don't it leaves some files hanging about which I
think confuses X. I don't remember now if there was anything else I
had to do but it was a real PITA.

Richard