[mythtv-users] Intel G35 XV color settings different between myth and mplayer

Marc MERLIN marc_mtv at merlins.org
Sun Sep 28 22:46:11 UTC 2008

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 09:59:51AM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> The only hitches are with the intel driver that offers a slow textured xv
> visual by default and needs to be overridden to use its overlay visual
> instead.
> Make sure mythfrontend -v playback gives you:
> 2008-09-28 09:29:24.334 VideoOutputXv: XVideo surface found on port 81
> 2008-09-28 09:29:24.334 VideoOutputXv: XVideo Adaptor Name: 'Intel(R) Video Overlay'

Oh, I forgot another problem for which I have at best only a workaround.

Something seems wrong with either mythfrontend or the intel G35 driver
(2.4.1): When I play video with xv overlay, the default settings were all
wrong for playing recordings.
I had to adjust them 'F' key in myth like so:
brightness 45% / contrast 35% / color 30%
to get something that looked about right.

Of course, after that if I use mplayer xv:port=81, the colors look all wrong
until I reset them manually or until I restart X.
For now, putting this in mplayer.conf is an acceptable workaround:
brightness=-20
contrast=-40
saturation=-70

Considering that mplayer works with the default colors, it looks like either
mythfrontend is wrong when it plays with the default xv settings in X, or
that the intel driver has a bug that is triggered by mythfrontend, but not
mplayer.

Any idea who is at fault here?

For reference, this is what the X server sets when it starts on its overlay
port (xvinfo) and what I use for mplayer:

This is what I end up with after tweaking in mythfrontend:
      "XV_BRIGHTNESS" (range -128 to 127)
              client gettable attribute (current value is -26)
      "XV_CONTRAST" (range 0 to 255)
              client gettable attribute (current value is 115)
      "XV_SATURATION" (range 0 to 1023)
              client gettable attribute (current value is 307)

This is what X starts with, and what works fine for mplayer:
      "XV_BRIGHTNESS" (range -128 to 127)
              client gettable attribute (current value is -26)
      "XV_CONTRAST" (range 0 to 255)
              client gettable attribute (current value is 76)
      "XV_SATURATION" (range 0 to 1023)
              client gettable attribute (current value is 153)

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/