[mythtv-users] HTPC: Asus P5E-VM HDMI G35 working fine.

Marc MERLIN marc_mtv at merlins.org
Sun Sep 28 16:59:51 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 07:54:39AM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 08:35:57AM +0200, Jo Heremans wrote:
> > I have an P5E-VM hdmi motherboard. I use mythbuntu 8.04 and had to compile
> > the intel driver manual. After that i have 1080p working. Sound is also
> > working.
>
> Cool, I feel better knowing that :)
>
> When you say "sounds is working", you mean onboard intel ICH9 sound I take
> it (I don't really need sound over HDMI anyway).
> Does alsa actually support 5.1 sound on that chip? Can you do AC3
> passthrough?

I'd just like to confirm that I got the Asus P5E-VM HDMI G35 board, and that
things are indeed working fine.
I do AC3 via SPDIF passthrough and it worked the first time.

The only hitches are with the intel driver that offers a slow textured xv
visual by default and needs to be overridden to use its overlay visual
instead.
Make sure mythfrontend -v playback gives you:
2008-09-28 09:29:24.334 VideoOutputXv: XVideo surface found on port 81
2008-09-28 09:29:24.334 VideoOutputXv: XVideo Adaptor Name: 'Intel(R) Video Overlay'

I also got the LCD in the Antec Fusion Black 430 HTPC case working fine
(except for the included IR sensor that won't read codes from other remotes,
just from the windows MCE remote :(

Hope this helps others, and thanks again Jo.

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/