[mythtv-users] Padding on Same Channel But Different Tuners

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 17 15:44:59 UTC 2008

On 09/17/2008 11:36 AM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Sep 17, 2008, at 1:33 AM, Jon Bishop wrote:
>> It seems foolish to me, to ignore the soft padding
>> when there are multiple inactive tuners, and it also seems
>> counterintuitive to have to schedule all your shows to start/end a
>> minute or two long
> Foolish to you, but other people do want it to work like this which is
> why it was implemented in this way. For example, I have 6 tuners. 5
> are high-def and 1 is a "last resort" standard def tuner. I never want
> the last tuner used unless I am absolutely going to miss a recording
> unless it's used. If soft-padding was changed to use free tuners to
> accommodate, my last tuner would be used much more often.
>
> My point is that it would be a nice feature to allow soft-padding to
> bump recordings to other free tuners, but the current functionality is
> useful to people and should also remain.

Brad's right.  But, because so many people whined, Bruce added:

Avoid back to back recordings from different channels
If set, the scheduler will avoid assigning shows from different channels
to the same card if their end time and start time match. This will be
allowed when necessary in order to resolve conflicts.

Mike