[mythtv-users] Padding on Same Channel But Different Tuners

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Sep 17 15:36:54 UTC 2008

On Sep 17, 2008, at 1:33 AM, Jon Bishop wrote:

> On Sep 16, 2008, at 7:17 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>
>> If you *definitely* want the padding to happen, you should put in a
>> hard-padding instead of soft-padding. Soft implies it should use it
>> if
>> it's convenient, but do not reschedule programs to force it to
>> happen.
>> Hard padding will reschedule (i.e. move to lower priority tuners,
>> record at a later time, etc.). These two settings have covered most
>> of
>> the use cases. I do understand you're trying to do a combination
>> (reschedule to a lower priority tuner, but do not reschedule to a
>> later time), but that feature is not currently available. I guess
>> that
>> would be a semi-hard padding? mushy-padding?
>
> I think it would be a feature request. I would like to concur with you
> on the request. It seems foolish to me, to ignore the soft padding
> when there are multiple inactive tuners, and it also seems
> counterintuitive to have to schedule all your shows to start/end a
> minute or two long, when you have a global rule for them all to start
> and end long as long as there are no conflicts.
>
> But, as Brad has said. This is exactly how it works right now.

Foolish to you, but other people do want it to work like this which is
why it was implemented in this way. For example, I have 6 tuners. 5
are high-def and 1 is a "last resort" standard def tuner. I never want
the last tuner used unless I am absolutely going to miss a recording
unless it's used. If soft-padding was changed to use free tuners to
accommodate, my last tuner would be used much more often.

My point is that it would be a nice feature to allow soft-padding to
bump recordings to other free tuners, but the current functionality is
useful to people and should also remain.