[mythtv-users] Padding on Same Channel But Different Tuners

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 08:33:40 UTC 2008

On Sep 16, 2008, at 7:17 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> On Sep 16, 2008, at 6:34 PM, Xesdeeni wrote:
>
>> I like padding before and after all my recordings, so I don't miss
>> either end.  So, I have Utilities/Setup->Setup->TV Settings->General-
>>> General (Advanced)->Time to record before start/past end of show to
>> 120.
>>
>> But even though I have four tuners and only one might be in use,
>> back-to-back shows on the same channel are assigned to the same
>> tuner, with no padding.  This always seems to put part of one show
>> on the other recording.  It's especially a pain when part of the
>> second show is on the end of the first, so I miss it unless I watch
>> them in order.
>>
>> If there are other tuners available, I'd rather Myth schedule the
>> two shows on different tuners.  Only when there are no more tuners
>> should it assign back-to-back recordings on the same channel on the
>> same tuner.
>>
>> Is there a way to do this already, or is this a new feature request?
>
> If you *definitely* want the padding to happen, you should put in a
> hard-padding instead of soft-padding. Soft implies it should use it if
> it's convenient, but do not reschedule programs to force it to happen.
> Hard padding will reschedule (i.e. move to lower priority tuners,
> record at a later time, etc.). These two settings have covered most of
> the use cases. I do understand you're trying to do a combination
> (reschedule to a lower priority tuner, but do not reschedule to a
> later time), but that feature is not currently available. I guess that
> would be a semi-hard padding? mushy-padding?

I think it would be a feature request. I would like to concur with you
on the request. It seems foolish to me, to ignore the soft padding
when there are multiple inactive tuners, and it also seems
counterintuitive to have to schedule all your shows to start/end a
minute or two long, when you have a global rule for them all to start
and end long as long as there are no conflicts.

But, as Brad has said. This is exactly how it works right now.

~Jon