[mythtv-users] Padding on Same Channel But Different Tuners

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 23:51:10 UTC 2008

On Sep 17, 2008, at 8:44 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 09/17/2008 11:36 AM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> On Sep 17, 2008, at 1:33 AM, Jon Bishop wrote:
>>> It seems foolish to me, to ignore the soft padding
>>> when there are multiple inactive tuners, and it also seems
>>> counterintuitive to have to schedule all your shows to start/end a
>>> minute or two long
>> Foolish to you, but other people do want it to work like this which
>> is
>> why it was implemented in this way. For example, I have 6 tuners. 5
>> are high-def and 1 is a "last resort" standard def tuner. I never
>> want
>> the last tuner used unless I am absolutely going to miss a recording
>> unless it's used. If soft-padding was changed to use free tuners to
>> accommodate, my last tuner would be used much more often.
>>
>> My point is that it would be a nice feature to allow soft-padding to
>> bump recordings to other free tuners, but the current functionality
>> is
>> useful to people and should also remain.
>
> Brad's right.  But, because so many people whined, Bruce added:
>
> Avoid back to back recordings from different channels
> If set, the scheduler will avoid assigning shows from different
> channels
> to the same card if their end time and start time match. This will be
> allowed when necessary in order to resolve conflicts.

Well, first, I would presume that the standard def tuner would have a
lower priority, preventing it from being used unless it is, in fact, a
last resort. But, that still might use the tuner more often the
wanted. But there is no setting to avoid back to back recordings from
the same channel to be tuned on the same tuner... and in my
experience, it is these recordings that ignore the soft padding. That
is likely because I have the avoid back to back recordings from
different channels option set, and it would otherwise ignore the soft
padding on those as well?

So, I still think it's a feature request. Maybe there just needs to be
a second checkbox next to the different channels one to avoid back to
back recordings on the same channels. Unless someone can make the
tuner output to 2 separate files when the soft padding for the second
recording starts, and until the soft padding on the first recording
ends. That would also solve the problem, without actually tying up a
second tuner. I remember reading about talk of doing this very thing a
while back, but never saw it come to fruition.

~Jon