[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

Johnny Russ jruss at mit.edu
Mon Sep 8 14:32:43 UTC 2008

> I have been following this thread because every day or two the machine will
> delay response to the commands for a minute or two.  It will not respond to
> keyboard or remote and then suddenly does a bunch of things.  Hard to say if
> it did everything that was keyed as by that time I have hit so many keys I
> can't remember them all.  Sometimes the remote misses keys outright
> (probably a pointing issue) so I often have to hit a key again.  It takes a
> while to figure out which issue is active so lots of keys get hit.
>
> I bring this up now because my machine is different than the ones being
> discussed.  I have mythbunty 8.04 running on a AMD 5400+ CPU.  If this
> sounds like the same probably you are chasing I think knowing my setup would
> be helpful.

I am also experiencing the exact same behavior. I am running on a lower
powered machine with a PIII 1 GHz and 384 MB of RAM. I have always just
attributed it to my machine being underpowered, but maybe something else is
going on. When I am watching a recording and mythtv-status runs it causes
the show to be choppy for 20 or 30 seconds until mythtv-status is done. I
haven't been able to check what was going on when the remote was slow to
respond, but I assumed it was mythtv-status or something similar running in
the background that was causing my remote to be delayed.