[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

Michael Lynch lynchmv at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 14:41:09 UTC 2008

> I am also experiencing the exact same behavior. I am running on a lower
> powered machine with a PIII 1 GHz and 384 MB of RAM. I have always just
> attributed it to my machine being underpowered, but maybe something else is
> going on. When I am watching a recording and mythtv-status runs it causes
> the show to be choppy for 20 or 30 seconds until mythtv-status is done. I
> haven't been able to check what was going on when the remote was slow to
> respond, but I assumed it was mythtv-status or something similar running in
> the background that was causing my remote to be delayed.

I guess in order to rule out an OS specific issue, I'll post my specs
too since I didn't post them with my original reply.  Like others in
this thread have noted, my key presses seem to queue up and then all
happen at once.  I haven't checked yet to see what top looks like
while this issue is occuring.

root at mythden:~# uname -a
Linux mythden 2.6.24.5 #3 SMP Fri Aug 8 19:43:12 EDT 2008 i686
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

root at mythden:~# cat /etc/slackware-version
Slackware 12.1.0

root at mythden:~# mythfrontend --version
Please include all output in bug reports.
MythTV Version   : exported
MythTV Branch    : tags/release-0-21
Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1
Network Protocol : 40
Options compiled in:
 linux release using_oss using_alsa using_arts using_backend
using_dbox2 using_dvb using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_iptv
using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_lirc using_v4l using_x11
using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmcw using_xvmc_vld
using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_opengl
using_ffmpeg_threads using_live

root at mythden:~# lircd --version
lircd 0.8.3-CVS

root at mythden:~# free -m
Mem:          1262       1161        100          0         32        942
-/+ buffers/cache:        186       1075
Swap:            0          0          0

root at mythden:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 2793.047
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe up
pebs bts sync_rdtsc cid xtpr
bogomips        : 5590.48
clflush size    : 64