[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 14:23:34 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 6:13 AM, Jason Weida <jason.m.weida at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Sean Cier <scier at posthorizon.com> wrote:
>
>> Another data point.  One of my frontends did this, a lot -- half the
>> time I tried to do something, it'd take two minutes or more to realize
>> I'd hit a button.  Made it completely unusable -- who wants a DVR that
>> won't pause?
>>
>> -- It is *not* lirc: when the problem popped up, both my remote and my
>> (non-lirc) IR keyboard did exactly the same thing.
>>
>> -- Started right after a "latest FC8" -> "latest FC9" upgrade a couple
>> days ago (both on -fixes via atrpms).  *Never* happened before that, and
>> this hardware's been running a frontend for over four years (the latest
>> clean reinstall was at least a few months ago).
>>
>> -- Turning on OpenGL sync seems to have made the problem nearly go
>> away.  I have observed it once since then (in about 1.5 evenings of
>> usage).
>>
>> -- I only ever observed it during playback, not in menus (SDTV; this
>> thing's /just/ powerful enough to play most 720p HDTV streams pulled off
>> cable, but I don't have any at the moment because my backend doesn't get
>> along with my cable box over firewire lately.  Gonna buy an HDHR as soon
>> as Amazon's price goes down again.  I'd already have it if Amazon hadn't
>> canceled their price guarantee policy...)
>>
>> -- I only ever observed it after the playback had been running for at
>> least a minute or two.  Similarly, once it responded to something, it
>> seems like it continued responding for at least a little while.  This
>> could be a sampling bias though.
>>
>> -- At least some of the commands queued up; I'd hit some buttons, then
>> sit and wait for a while, and *usually* eventually they (or at least
>> some of them) would take effect, all in a row.  Of course, I've no idea
>> what level they queued up at.  I *know* keyboard commands queued up, but
>> I'm not 100% certain I observed lirc events queue up.  The keyboard
>> always seemed to provide a higher chance of actually working, eventually.
>>
>> -- Changing playback profiles, video-as-timebase, extra-audio-buffering
>> had no effect.  Enabling realtime threads didn't either, but I didn't
>> verify changing that setting actually worked on the system, so it
>> could've been a no-op anyhow.
>>
>> -spc
>>

> Good points, I'm seeing the same.  Playback only, other menus work just
> fine.  Next time it happens to me, I'll check that screensaver/xorg business
> in the other thread, but it sounds a like a different issue since keyboard
> commands are not responding as well (I have a wired PS2 keyboard).  It
> sounds like everyone who has observed the problem is using a lower end
> machine, so maybe that's part of the issue.

I have been following this thread because every day or two the machine will
delay response to the commands for a minute or two.  It will not respond to
keyboard or remote and then suddenly does a bunch of things.  Hard to say if
it did everything that was keyed as by that time I have hit so many keys I
can't remember them all.  Sometimes the remote misses keys outright
(probably a pointing issue) so I often have to hit a key again.  It takes a
while to figure out which issue is active so lots of keys get hit.

I bring this up now because my machine is different than the ones being
discussed.  I have mythbunty 8.04 running on a AMD 5400+ CPU.  If this
sounds like the same probably you are chasing I think knowing my setup would
be helpful.

Allen