[mythtv-users] optimal ext2fs formatting for recordings

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Wed Sep 3 05:40:21 UTC 2008

Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> I am about to add a 300G drive to my Myth box to hold my recordings. Is there
> an optimal way to format this drive for large files? The whole drive will be
> used for recordings (about 2.8G/hour for me) and the PNG thumbnails.
Well the only one I can think of off the top of my head is to lower (to
0) the part of the disk that's reserved for root.  If it's purely a
data-disk then this shouldn't matter.  I wouldn't do this for a control
disk though.  I might drop it down to 1% on a big disk I guess.

so mkfs.ext3 -m 0 ....

cheers,
-MythNoob
(Kingsley)