[mythtv-users] Wireless N USB Adapters

Rick P rickp at blowphish.net
Wed Oct 29 14:37:51 UTC 2008

[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Marc Randolph
>Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 09:25
>To: Discussion about mythtv
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Wireless N USB Adapters
>
>On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Rick P <rickp at blowphish.net> wrote:
>> Anyone have success with utilizing a wireless N USB adapter?  Fedora
>> support? Streaming ok?
>>
>> http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=372137
>
>You need to find out what IC the adapter is based upon, and then
>verify what version (if any) of the kernel you need to support that
>device.
>
>Here is a search using the Belkin part number:
>http://www.google.com/search?q=F5D8053+chipset
>Looking around a bit, we find the chipset is rt2870sta, and the first
>hit is a thread where someone reports success with using the device
>via ndiswrapper and the windows drivers.
>Additionally, http://www.google.com/search?q=F5D8053+linux brings up
>step-by-step instructions on a blog about using a native(!) ralink
>driver with ndiswrapper:
>http://blog.delgurth.com/2008/08/17/followup-on-the-belkin-f5d8053-and-ubun
tu/

>Of course, most of the above results are Ubuntu-centric, so you'll
>have to dig a little deeper.  I have no idea about ndiswrapper on
>Fedora.  Google really is your friend.
>
>   Marc

Thanks for the info and the guide on figuring out what is supported.  I have
been searching a lot on mythtv and other pvr, but seems most of the
information that I have been finding is old (1+ yrs) and not relevant to
today's technologies, but I have been finding new sites as I narrow down my
searches.  Thanks again for the info and I'll try and keep the newby
questions to a minimum.

Cheers,
Rick