[mythtv-users] motherboard recommendation?

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Mon Oct 27 12:36:10 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 23:18 -0500, Shanon Swafford wrote:

> I just got an ASUS M3N78-VM with optical spdif out and Nvidia onboard hdmi.
>
> No 1394 as far as I can see in the manual.

<snip>
> The hdmi works fine except my TV overscans soo bad that you can't see about
> 15-20% of the Linux desktop and it doesn't sound like it is fixable from the
> pc side.  Myth can "shrink" itself so as a PVR, this is workable.  Alsa
> didn't show any sound for the HDMI port until I installed the very latest
> "development" version and compiled from source.  Have not tried it since
> compiling as all my sound goes through a Sony receiver.
>
> Probably doesn't help much though:(
> Shanon

Shanon,

  What video driver are you using with this board? I also purchased one
of these and the onboard GeForce 8200 has such spectacularly bad 2d
video it can not display a presentation on a 720P display without
terrible stuttering. I am using Ubuntu 8.10 with the 177.?? (80 I think)
nvidia driver.

  I ended up throwing a 7200GS PCI-E card in it just to get decent 720P.

Thanks,
James