[mythtv-users] motherboard recommendation?

Shanon Swafford listbox at swaffordfamily.com
Sat Oct 25 04:18:33 UTC 2008

If I had it to do over, I would probably pick a motherboard based number of
PCI/e slots because:

1.  No telling how long till Alsa recognizes these new mbs with spdif.
    At least this is the feeling I get from the 30+ hours of googling:(
2.  DVI (with a dvi->hdmi converter $20) is the same except without sound
    so hdmi is not really needed if you plan on using spdif to a stereo.
    I listen to all my tv through my stereo.
3.  I would also look for a video where the manufacturer/drivers
    support overscan adjustment on the pc side.

I just got an ASUS M3N78-VM with optical spdif out and Nvidia onboard hdmi.

No 1394 as far as I can see in the manual.

Eth Port only works on Mythdora 5.0 ISO after yumming up through an added
Linksys eth card.

I just ordered a Turtle Beach Riviera sound card cause I can't for the life
of me get the spdif optical working.

The hdmi works fine except my TV overscans soo bad that you can't see about
15-20% of the Linux desktop and it doesn't sound like it is fixable from the
pc side.  Myth can "shrink" itself so as a PVR, this is workable.  Alsa
didn't show any sound for the HDMI port until I installed the very latest
"development" version and compiled from source.  Have not tried it since
compiling as all my sound goes through a Sony receiver.

Probably doesn't help much though:(
Shanon