[mythtv-users] Doing a "scan for games" in mythgame hangs mythfrontend, rails cpu.

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 16:28:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Drew Gilbert <gilbert.drew at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greg Grotsky wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Greg Grotsky <spikeygg at gmail.com
>> <mailto:spikeygg at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>     I recently reinstalled my OS on my myth machine due to drive
>>     issues, in the past I used mythgame and it worked very well.  I'm
>>     running an SVN version of myth I checked out about a week ago (rev
>>     18641).  When I try to "scan for games" my frontend freezes, I can
>>     alt-tab back to my terminal and kill the mythfrontend session and
>>     restart it but I have no way to populate the mythgame table.  The
>>     cpu rails and the LCD shows that it's scanning but the frontend is
>>     frozen.

Check file and directory permissions on your rom directory and all
parent directories. Check the permissions on rom files to make sure
that everything is readable by the user that mythfrontend runs under.
Log in as the specific mythtv user you're using, and verify that you
are able to run your emulator and access any games as this user. I'm
going to bet there's a permissions problem. YMMV, but you probably
want your directories to be "chmod 755", and your non-executable files
to be "chmod 644"

If that doesn't fix your problem *AND* you are able to run your
emulators successfully as the mythtv user, I'd check for any DB
corruption or garbage that you may have migrated with you. Try
dropping your DB and starting over if that's an option, also I'd
suggest dropping down to 0.21-fixes SVN instead of (presumed) SVN
trunk until you get things squared away so that you can eliminate as
many variables as possible.

-Ross