[mythtv-users] "Unable to connect to mythbackend, is it running?" and other error messages

Greg Hermsen g.hermy15 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 14:18:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 8:48 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 7:41 PM, Greg Hermsen <g.hermy15 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com
>> > wrote:

>>> OOM killer, perhaps?
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>> I have 1.5 GB of memory.  Would that make OOM killer unlikely?
>>
>> About an hour ago, I tried looking at the recorded program's list.  The
>> system froze for about 1.5 minutes then I got a message that it "Unable to
>> connect to mythbackend, is it running?"  I currently have only one machine,
>> a combined BE/FE.
>>
>> I looked again at the *mythbackend.log* file.  There seemed to be more
>> error messages there.
>>
>> ******************************
>> ** Section with errors ****
>> *****************************
>> 8-10-20 18:29:29.719 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]invalid cbp at 36 4
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.722 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]invalid cbp at 23 11
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.723 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]invalid cbp at 12 12
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.728 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]invalid mb type in P
>> Frame at 14 14
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.729 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 4 15
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.730 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 4 15
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.731 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 30 17
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.732 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 22 18
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.733 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 9 20
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.734 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]slice mismatch
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.735 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]invalid cbp at 39 21
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.736 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 21 25
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.737 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]invalid cbp at 2 24
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.738 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 14 25
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.739 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 7 26
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.748 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 1 27
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.749 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]ac-tex damaged at 15 29
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.828 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]slice mismatch
>> 2008-10-20 18:29:29.832 [mpeg2video @ 0xb73a2a88]slice mismatch
>> Segmentation fault
>>

> In this case, your backend segfaulted.  In order to diagnose this, you can
> do one of two things:
>
> 1.  Update to the latest  -fixes code to see if this has been addressed.
> 2.  Compile the -fixes branch with debug symbols and follow the
> instructions on the mythtv.org website documentation for generating a
> backtrace so that the developers can see what may be causing the crash
>
> This is not the same issue you had before.
>
> But, the fact that you have your database crashing and mythtv crashing
> leads me to wonder if you may have a bad stick of memory causing both
> programs to behave badly.
>
> Kevin

Kevin I appreciate your assistance in this and another posting

Here are a few other things to note.

   1. All other Mythbuntu applications (Browser, editors, etc) are working
   without  problems.  The memory in the PC is the same memory (1.5 GB) I've
   had in the PC for a few years.   Not to completely rule bad memory out, but
   I would think other applications would be buggy too.
   2. The problem seemed to appear at about the same time as the new kernel
   update.
   3. I did a Google search and I saw a few comments possibly related to
   similar problems as mine where it was suggested to make sure that the
   front-end, back-end and mythweb were all running the same versions.  I'm not
   sure how to confirm that.

I'm a longtime Windows user and feel like I'm drinking from a firehose when
it comes to Linux/Mythbuntu/MythTV.  I've seen comments about -fixes and and
branches.  I'm not reall sure what they are.  You suggested "Update to the
latest -fixes" and "Comiling the -fixes branch (with debug options)".  What
is the difference.  Can you point me to something that would help walk me
through updating or compiling -fixes?

Thanks again.

Greg