[mythtv-users] Pseudo-random frontend crash when watching recordings

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 03:41:24 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 11:19 PM, Jon Bishop
<jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2008, at 8:31 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>
> > I didn't find anything in trac that really looked like the same
> > problem I'm
> > having. Some recordings will crash the frontend suddenly and there
> > will not
> > be any errors in the log file. Sometimes it's reproducible and
> > sometimes
> > it's not, meaning, some recordings will cause the frontend to crash
> > in the
> > same place over and over and some will crash it once but not the
> > next time.
> >
> > Anyone else have this problem?
>
> Check your video files. Is it truly random, or is it doing it with a
> predetermined filetype? For whatever reason, anytime I play back xvid
> content, via the internal player, or via xine, when I exit the
> program, the frontend will crash. This has been happening for many
> months, and I have the power button workaround found on wilsonet.com
> implemented to restart the frontend whenever it does die.

Well, as I mentioned all my recordings are MPEG2 from a HDHomerun.  It's
possible it's stream errors from the broadcaster but with all the HDHR users
on this list I figured I would not be the only one having problems.

I've done some searching on my irexec problem but haven't found anything
helpful. I'm basically using the same startup script as wilsonet.com.

Richard