[mythtv-users] Transcoding doesn't change entry in DB...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 19 03:36:46 UTC 2008

On 10/18/2008 06:28 PM, Andrew Close wrote:
> i attempted to search the archives because i'm pretty sure i saw a
> thread with a similar problem, but i wasn't able to find any answers.
>
> i'm building a new MythBox to handle HD content.  it's not in
> production yet (FE/BE Combo) because i'm waiting on some video driver
> updates/stabilization, but it is currently recording via HDHR.  i am
> quickly running out of space on it since i'm unable to watch anything
> that i've recorded, so i'm playing with MythTranscode to remove
> commercials and possibly slim down some of the shows that my son
> watches over and over (Word World, Veggie Tales, Bob the Builder,
> Thomas & Friends, etc).
> MythTranscode seems to be working fine for me, but i'm not noticing
> any space savings when i query the DB. i see the shows filesize in the
> recorded table as the original size.
> i'm currently running MythTranscode from the command line (sudo
> mythtranscode -c <channel> -s <starttime> -l -m), checking the output
> for sync issues, and then deleting the original recording.  it looks
> like MythTranscode works with the DB according to some of the output,
> but it doesn't seem to update the DB when done?  just curious as to
> why that is.  is this a bug? oversight?  or do the filesizes in the DB
> not really matter?

TTBOMK, running mythtranscode manually creates a new transcoded
recording and leaves the original in place (and in use by Myth).  You
/only/ replace the original within Myth when you let Myth run
mythtranscode for you (either automatically or by starting a transcode
from the Watch Recordings screen or by hitting x when playing back the
recording).

In other words, if you're not using Myth to transcode for you, you must
be creating some file that's not for Myth.

Mike