[mythtv-users] MythTV server with 4 DVB-S cards ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 17:53:19 UTC 2008

I'm an FTA guy.  We have several receivers fed from 2 satellite dishes
with 5LNBs.

I'm a Linux guy.  We have several PCs and laptops, all running Linux.
My house is networked both wired and wireless.

I'm tired of running coax everywhere I want to put a satellite receiver.
Some of my receivers do PVR, but to a USB drive.  I'm tired of moving
that drive around and sometimes hooking up a laptop to watch a show on a
certain TV.

All my photos are digital.  I want to be able to access (view) them on
any TV.

I think I want to marry my computer system to my FTA system by building
a mythTV server and putting a simple htpc at every TV.

Is it practical to build a mythTV server that operates 4 DVB-S cards ?
Would said server be able to stream video to 4 different receivers
simultaneously ?  Or is that too much to ask ?

How much bandwidth does streaming take ?  2 or more of the feeds would
be HDTV.  Unfortunately, the location of those TVs is such that their
HTPC would use a wireless connection.  Would that work ?

If not, is there a way to run Ethernet on coax without it being a ring
structure ?  (I have coax running to most of the TVs...)

Thanks