[mythtv-users] DVB: frontend 0 frequency limits undefined - fix the driver - sndaw2 & fedora 8 2.6.26.5-28.fc8

Giacomo Shimmings giacomo_shimmings at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 13 20:06:19 UTC 2008

Hi there,

since upgrading my kernel to fedora 8 2.6.26.5-28.fc8 I'm getting error messages in dmesg:

[root at 192 ~]# dmesg | grep DVB
DVB: registering new adapter (TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-T  PCI)
DVB: registering frontend 0 (LSI L64781 DVB-T)...
DVB: frontend 0 frequency limits undefined - fix the driver
DVB: frontend 0 frequency limits undefined - fix the driver
DVB: frontend 0 frequency limits undefined - fix the driver

[root at 192 ~]# lspci -v

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Holco Enterprise Co, Ltd/Shuttle Computer Unknown device c09f
        I/O ports at ea00 [size=256]
        I/O ports at eb00 [size=64]
        Memory at fa101000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
        Memory at fa102000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
        Kernel modules: snd-intel8x0

02:08.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Technotrend Systemtechnik GmbH Technotrend-Budget/Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T DVB card
        Memory at fa020000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
        Kernel driver in use: budget dvb
        Kernel modules: snd-aw2, budget

[root at 192 ~]# cat /etc/modprobe.conf
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0>/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
alias char-major-81 cx88_dvb

alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 ohci-hcd
# This next line is for the USB remote dongle
# doesn't work!
alias char-major-lirc mceusb
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv
alias eth0 tg3
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-card-0 index=0

# nvidia kernel module
alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-9639
alias nvidia nvidia-1_0-9639

http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-list/2008-September/msg02865.html

I added the drive to the blacklist:

[root at 192 ~]# cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist                                                                                              #
# Listing a module here prevents the hotplug scripts from loading it.
# Usually that'd be so that some other driver will bind it instead,
# no matter which driver happens to get probed first.  Sometimes user
# mode tools can also control driver binding.
#
# Syntax:  driver name alone (without any spaces) on a line. Other
# lines are ignored.
#

# Added to solve budget DVB errors in 2.6.26.x kernel
blacklist snd-aw2

# watchdog drivers
blacklist i8xx_tco

# framebuffer drivers
blacklist aty128fb
blacklist atyfb
blacklist radeonfb
blacklist i810fb
blacklist cirrusfb
blacklist intelfb
blacklist kyrofb
blacklist i2c-matroxfb
blacklist hgafb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivafb
blacklist savagefb
blacklist sstfb
blacklist neofb
blacklist tridentfb
blacklist tdfxfb
blacklist virgefb
blacklist vga16fb

# ISDN - see bugs 154799, 159068
blacklist hisax
blacklist hisax_fcpcipnp

Which doesn't make any difference.   I'm still seeing the error messages in dmesg and the lspci -v is still seeing the module loaded.  I think the modprobe.conf is aliasing the snd audio driver to my intel based onboard chipset, but I don't know if thats the right route to go down.

Thanks for any tips,

Giacomo