[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 8.10 PVR-350

Joshua Lutes joshua at lutes.me
Wed Nov 19 18:46:55 UTC 2008

So, I recently purchased a new CPU, motherboard and case and decided
that I would upgrade to the latest version of Mythbuntu while I was at
it (my old box is running 8.04).

I've installed Mythbuntu 8.10 and my problem is that I can't get TV to
go out through the PVR-350. I have managed to get X to go through the
TV-out, so I can watch television if I specify that I don't want the
television to go out through PVR-350 in the myth frontend options.
Unfortunately the video quality is pretty bad (since the cpu has to
process it instead of streaming the MPEG directly to the tuner card, I
am assuming).

If I run "at Desktop/Silhouet2001.mpeg > /dev/video16" the video comes
out through the television, though there is a large black box
obscuring most of the screen and there is no sound.

I've tried reinstalling (the first time I installed I didn't actually
have the tuner card in the machine) but to no avail.  The second try
caused the tuner to only be able to detect channels 2 through 13 and a
smattering of higher ones.  The third try caused the network manager
to not work -- at which point I gave up and put my old box back into
position.

Does anybody have any suggestions?  I did try installing 8.04 so as to
kind of go with what had been working previously, but couldn't get the
ethernet to work.  Thanks for any help you can give,

Joshua Lutes