[mythtv-users] Mythbackend dying, log excerpt included

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 00:00:56 UTC 2008

On 16/11/2008, Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com> wrote:

<snip>

> 2008-11-16 01:38:05.305 Event socket closed. No connection to the backend.
>  2008-11-16 01:38:08.116 Connection timed out.
>                         You probably should modify the Master Server
>                          settings in the setup program and set the
>                         proper IP address.
>  2008-11-16 01:38:11.292 Connection timed out.
>                         You probably should modify the Master Server
>                          settings in the setup program and set the
>                         proper IP address.
>  2008-11-16 01:38:14.527 Connection timed out.
>                         You probably should modify the Master Server
>                          settings in the setup program and set the
>                         proper IP address.
>  2008-11-16 01:38:17.954 Connection timed out.
>                         You probably should modify the Master Server
>                          settings in the setup program and set the
>                         proper IP address.
>  2008-11-16 01:38:21.473 Connection timed out.
>                         You probably should modify the Master Server
>                          settings in the setup program and set the
>                         proper IP address.
>  2008-11-16 01:38:25.096 Connection timed out.
>                         You probably should modify the Master Server
>                          settings in the setup program and set the
>                         proper IP address.
>  2008-11-16 01:38:28.331 Connection timed out.
>                         You probably should modify the Master Server
>                          settings in the setup program and set the
>                         proper IP address.
>  2008-11-16 01:38:31.688 Connection timed out.
>                         You probably should modify the Master Server
>                          settings in the setup program and set the
>                         proper IP address.
>

> I don't understand this?? What exactly is it telling me? I go into
> mythtv-setup and the IP is correct. Is this possibly a hardware-related
> issue? It's startin' to tick me off with its frequency now :(

It could be a hardware issue if this has suddenly starting without
changing network or MythTV settings - do you see any network status
messages in your syslog at the same time you see the above message in
your mythbackend logfile? Are things stable with only one machine
involved (i.e. running mythfrontend on the backend)?

You could try enabling increased logging verbosity on the backend (see
mythbackend -h). Outside of MythTV, running memtest to check your RAM,
smartctl to test your disk(s), and lmsensors to ensure you're not
overheating are also sensible ideas.

To recap, in a mutli-machine MythTV setup, you need to ensure that on
your backend machine(s) you have the master backend, current backend
and database server IP addresses set correctly (in mythtv-setup), and
frontends have the correct database server settings (in mythfrontend
setup). Settings files (mysql.txt and config.xml) can be in /.mythtv,
/root/.mythtv and /home/user/.mythtv, so also make sure the settings
for the frontend and backend users are in agreement.

Nick

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: