[mythtv-users] Mythbackend dying, log excerpt included

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Sun Nov 16 06:42:39 UTC 2008

> There are no binary packages on the MythTV official site, only the
> initial source code archives for each release. The current code for
> each version is available from the MythTV SVN server.
>
> > Oh, here's the mythtv-svn from Arch's AUR system (streamlined package
> > management that lies outside of the package manager):
> > http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=18004  <-- Sound
> > good to install?
>
> That is a build of SVN trunk (the less stable (or unstable, YMMV)
> current development branch), not the stable 0.21-fixes branch. Also
> note that the package is misleadingly named mythtv-svn - this in
> itself gives no indication as to whether it is a build of trunk or the
> stable 0.21-fixes branch, although the description clears up the
> confusion. Subversion (SVN) is the revision control software used, not
> a specific branch of MythTV development.
>
> Your main options at this stage are:
>
> i) You could ask the 0.21-fixes package maintainer for your distro to
> release a new up-to-date build and test that when it's available;
> ii) You could start building MythTV yourself from the source code
> available on the SVN server (be aware that there is a learning curve
> here, but the MythTV wiki covers the process)
> iii) If you are not tied to your current distro, you could move to
> another that either has more frequent builds of MythTV available, or
> is MythTV-centric (like MythBuntu or MythDora).
>
> For daily use systems, I'd recommend sticking with the more stable
> 0.21-fixes branch.

Thanks for the info Nick. I checked the Arch packages page and this is the
info on the main Mythtv package in the package manager, seems it is updated
properly:

http://archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/mythtv/

I have a feeling the mythtv package is fine, it's really the following error
that I keep encountering in the log. (I've just had the backend die twice in
less than an hour while watching SNL):

2008-11-16 01:38:05.305 Event socket closed. No connection to the backend.
2008-11-16 01:38:08.116 Connection timed out.
                        You probably should modify the Master Server
                        settings in the setup program and set the
                        proper IP address.
2008-11-16 01:38:11.292 Connection timed out.
                        You probably should modify the Master Server
                        settings in the setup program and set the
                        proper IP address.
2008-11-16 01:38:14.527 Connection timed out.
                        You probably should modify the Master Server
                        settings in the setup program and set the
                        proper IP address.
2008-11-16 01:38:17.954 Connection timed out.
                        You probably should modify the Master Server
                        settings in the setup program and set the
                        proper IP address.
2008-11-16 01:38:21.473 Connection timed out.
                        You probably should modify the Master Server
                        settings in the setup program and set the
                        proper IP address.
2008-11-16 01:38:25.096 Connection timed out.
                        You probably should modify the Master Server
                        settings in the setup program and set the
                        proper IP address.
2008-11-16 01:38:28.331 Connection timed out.
                        You probably should modify the Master Server
                        settings in the setup program and set the
                        proper IP address.
2008-11-16 01:38:31.688 Connection timed out.
                        You probably should modify the Master Server
                        settings in the setup program and set the
                        proper IP address.

I don't understand this?? What exactly is it telling me? I go into
mythtv-setup and the IP is correct. Is this possibly a hardware-related
issue? It's startin' to tick me off with its frequency now :(

Thanks
Bob