[mythtv-users] Problem w/ nVidia drivers 177.80???

Friedrich Clausen fred at derf.nl
Fri Nov 14 11:21:06 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 3:49 AM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
> steve wrote:
>> Harry Devine wrote:

<snip>

>> take a look at intrepid release notes, specifically the nvidia driver
>> section.  http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810
>>
>> intrepid uses a new xorg and legacy drivers dont work with it. as far as
>> I know nvidia is either working on a fix, or already has, not sure
>> havent been following too close as I use a newer card.  may want to
>> search ubuntu-users mailing list. you can find out exactly what card you
>> have with the command lspci in a terminal.
>>
> It got late last night, so I waited until tonight to run mythtv-setup
> after setting my xorg.conf driver setting to "nv" from "nvidia" as
> suggested.  Now, I'm running setup and I'm in the Video Source setup and
> it appears to hang.  I have an SSH connection open from my laptop and
> I'm running top, and I see Xorg is using 100% of my CPU.  WTF!!!
>
> I switched from the onboard ATI Radeon X1200 graphics (which had poor
> driver support that would make my analog tuned channels come in as green
> "snow") to an nVidia GeForce 7100GS that I had in my old machine.  I
> switched because everwhere I look I see "nVidia has MUCH better linux
> support"; "stay away from ATI", etc.
>
> Well from where I sit, they BOTH SUCK!  Why does it seem like I'm the
> only one who can't get a basic damn system going?  I see others writing
> "I installed <this> or <that> and it worked right out of the box".
> Sorry for the venting, but this is frustrating as hell!
>
> Anyway, any ideas on what I can do here?  I'm running Mythbuntu 8.10
> x86_64, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong but the "nv" driver is the
open source, currently reverse engineered driver while the "nvidia"
driver is the proprietary NVIDIA developed driver with the most
features. As far as I am aware, almost everyone here is using the
NVIDIA proprietary driver ("nvidia") since it supports options like
TV-OUT and XvMC. I also think that the Geforce 7300 does not fall
under the "legacy" driver umbrella so the Ubuntu note does not apply -
something else is wrong.

So, my advice to you is to rather troubleshoot the nvidia driver and
see why that is not working. Perhaps you could send some backend and
frontend logs to see why it hangs at the pre-scaling theme images.

Good luck and may the patience be with you :-)

Fred.