[mythtv-users] Problem w/ nVidia drivers 177.80???

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Fri Nov 14 14:19:31 UTC 2008

I agree with Fred that the driver you want to be using is "nvidia", not "nv".

I also recently ran into problems with MFE hanging after loading the
images. The log was spewing tons of error messages about GLX not
being present.

The reason for this was the annoying graphic card autodetection stuff
built into the distro I use (Mandriva). I had just switched graphic
cards and, noticing this, it decided that the best driver for me to
use was "nv". Even though I switched back to a previous Xorg.conf
that used "nvidia", it had also replaced the GLX drivers with the
open source ones that don't work with "nvidia".

I recommend you do what I did: download the installer from NVidia's
site. Don't use the one that comes with your distro, as it's most
likely several months out of date, anyway. When you run the
installer, it will make absolutely certain that all of the files it
needs are in the correct locations, unlike an RPM, which won't always
replace things that are present but of an incorrect version.