[mythtv-users] Using a second digital sound card

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 12 05:39:16 UTC 2008

On 11/12/2008 12:25 AM, Oz Dror wrote:
> My situation is different.
>
> I have dual monitor system. The second monitor is HDTV and the first is
> a regular ubuntu desktop
> I actually need to used both sound cards. I need the first default card
> to be used by the pc desktop.
> the second card needs to be a digital sound for the HDTV.
>

> This is because I cannot share one card for both. In fact I cannot use
> the analog port for the desktop
> and the digital for the HDTV simultaneously.
>
> Based on your recommendation I will loose the first card.
>
> Back to my question is it possible to assign the second card to
> ALSA:default (in mythtv) and keep the first card as the
> ubuntu system default.

No, ALSA:default = ALSA's "default" logical device, and there's only one
default.  Create a differently-named logical device for Myth and specify
"ALSA:mydevicename" for the audio output device and "ALSA:default" for
the mixer device.

(Yes, the use of "ALSA:default" fox mixer with "ALSA:mydevicename" for
audio output device is confusing because people didn't understand the
concept and changed the mixer value from what it was supposed to be,
"default", so that it was "symmetrical" with the audio output device,
even though there's no such thing as an "ALSA default mixer".  Anyway,
"default" probably still works, and really, "default" is (and always has
been) more appropriate because you're trying to use the "default" mixer
for the chosen ALSA device, "mydevicename".  However, I haven't tried
using "default" for quite some time, and I think there was (is?) an
issue with using a value that's not in the drop down, so you'll have to
play around and hope for the best...)

Mike