[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu upgrade 8.04 -> 8.10, didn't go so well

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Wed Nov 12 05:43:47 UTC 2008

Marc Randolph wrote:
> Could these two items be related to your keyboard problem?
>
> The X keycodes generated with the new evdev input driver in X.Org 1.5
> are not compatible with those generated in Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and before.
> If you have configured keybindings for your user with a ~/.Xmodmap
> file, you will need to convert or disable it by hand on upgrade.
>
> (From  http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810)

Yes, this is exactly it.

The new X Keyboard driver still accepts the xmodmap, *but* you will need
to re-do all the scan codes.

It seems that mythbuntu 8.10 now does not automatically run xmodmap on
an ~/.Xmodmap ??!  Does anyone know for sure?  (Or is this an X thing?)

I'm a bit unsure about how mythbuntu starts X.  If someone could suggest
a place/file to patch this xmodmap call in, that would be grand.
Failing that, I might have to make my own .xinitrc.

cheersbigears,
-MythNoob
(AKA Kingsley)