[mythtv-users] MythTV and the "average" user...

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Thu May 15 23:44:40 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 2:24 am, James Orr wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> My mother is in the process of recovering from some major surgery.
>> This means two things, I expect to be going to see her in the not too
>> distant future and and am thinking "is it time to pull together a
>> MythTV box for her?".
>>
>> My mother is a retired high school home economics teacher, so, no
>> dummy, but on the other hand, limited computer skills (well, limited
>> technical skills in general, programming the VCR is something she
>> finds frustrating). So, the question is has MythTV with say Mythbuntu
>> reached the point where once set-up a "average" person could run the
>> machine? Basicly I want something that will make life easier for her,
>> not frustrate her...
>>

> She might need some assistance setting up which programs to record, but I
> don't think there would be any problems with viewing recorded programs.
>
> The distribution you use is really irrelevant because all the viewer would
> see is the MythFrontend interface, so use whatever you feel most
> comfortable
> setting up.

The trick is to make is "Just Work" which is something we tried very hard
to do with myPVR.

General use by the "average consumer" for recording and playback hasn't
been an issue as the Myth Interface is relatively simple. Our major issues
were when things didn't work, like issues with the EPG feed, or a channel
going off air for a couple of hours (satellite problems).

Steve

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR
email   - steven at openmedia.co.nz