[mythtv-users] MythTV and the "average" user...

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Thu May 15 14:24:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> My mother is in the process of recovering from some major surgery.
> This means two things, I expect to be going to see her in the not too
> distant future and and am thinking "is it time to pull together a
> MythTV box for her?".
>
> My mother is a retired high school home economics teacher, so, no
> dummy, but on the other hand, limited computer skills (well, limited
> technical skills in general, programming the VCR is something she
> finds frustrating). So, the question is has MythTV with say Mythbuntu
> reached the point where once set-up a "average" person could run the
> machine? Basicly I want something that will make life easier for her,
> not frustrate her...

She might need some assistance setting up which programs to record, but I
don't think there would be any problems with viewing recorded programs.

The distribution you use is really irrelevant because all the viewer would
see is the MythFrontend interface, so use whatever you feel most comfortable
setting up.