[mythtv-users] Match, place

David Engel david at istwok.net
Mon May 12 18:56:53 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 02:22:51PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/12/2008 02:09 PM, Mike Smith wrote:
> > This is as much idle curiosity as anything, but what is the
> > significance of the "match" and "place" quantities that the scheduler
> > records in the MythTV log?
>
> AIUI, match (identify all matching episodes) is in a MySQL query and
> place (identify which episodes to record (prioritization, conflicts, dup
> checking, ...) and where to record) is in MythTV code.

Close.  "place" also includes the MySQL query affectionately known as
the BU[S]Q or Big Ugly [Scheduler] Query.

> > Why might I get two entries like this:
> >
> > Scheduled 2028 items in 7.1 = 0.74 match + 6.33 place
>
> Scheduling for a specific recording rule.
>
> > Scheduled 2028 items in 37.1 = 0.31 match + 36.79 place
>
> Re-scheduling for /all/ recording rules (from scratch).
>
> > ...a minute or two apart?
>
> Because of the difference in the amount of work required.

My guesses (and that is all they are) is a change in system load (a
CPU intensive process started running) or a change in system caching
(the database was no longer in memory).

David
--
David Engel