[mythtv-users] MythFrontend 0.21: What is a watch list?

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Tue Mar 11 20:56:19 UTC 2008

Tim Phipps wrote:
> Paul Bender wrote
>> In my case, it has very little to do with time. Rather it has to do with
>> desire. I work on Open Source projects for my benefit not other people's
>> benefit. Adding functionality that I want benefits me. As a result, I am
>> motivated to do the work. Adding documentation of functionality that I
>> added does not benefit me. As a result, I am not motivated to do the work.
>>
> I've got to ask: why bother even checking in your work?
> Cheers,
> Tim.

For projects that I maintain, I check code in because development is
much more difficult without a version control system that allows you be
back out your mistakes.

With projects to which I have contributed, I have contributed because it
is often easier to get the patches I want into the mainline code than it
is to update the patch each time a new release comes out. However, in
the cases where much resistance is encountered, I just continue to
maintain the patches for myself.

For projects that I maintain, there are differing reasons why I make
them available to others. For example, I make MiniMyth available because
having other people build and use it helps me learn more about creating
cross compilation environments and Linux distributions. Since I like to
learn, making it available to others is a selfish motivation. As
MiniMyth uses can attest, I took me quite some time before I created any
up-to-date documentation. Even now, the MiniMyth documentation is rather
limited and somewhat disorganized.