[mythtv-users] TV playback options on 0.21

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Mar 10 15:58:03 UTC 2008

Scott Traurig <straurig at comcast.net> says:
> I'm running an AMD 4200+ 64 dual core.

My understanding is that each of your two cores is faster than my
Pentium 4 3.0GHz 64-bit single-core processor.

> The "soft" versions of Greedy and Yadif work on 0.21 fine on my
> setup but both look terrible. Worse than linear or blend.  Bob is
> still the king!

My setup is slow enough that I can't use anything other than Greedy
with high-definition video; Greedy (2x), Yadif, and Yadif (2x) are
just too demanding. However, there's no point in using Greedy over Bob
for people like you and me with 1080p displays because Bob is always
(2x); that is, Bob always doubles the refresh rate. That's the secret
behind its smoothness in pans. (It's also possible that you could be
seeing residual frameskipping when using Greedy or Yadif that doesn't
occur with a less-demanding deinterlacer like Linear.) If by "soft"
you mean the non-2x versions, no wonder they look worse than Bob; even
if they deinterlace a little bit better, they just aren't as smooth
because their refresh rates aren't as high.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array