[mythtv-users] TV playback options on 0.21

Scott Traurig straurig at comcast.net
Mon Mar 10 11:22:51 UTC 2008

Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 20:45:58 -0700
From: Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com>

Scott Traurig <straurig at comcast.net> says:
> I've been using 0.21 build 15xxx (can't remember exactly which) for
> a while on Gutsy/Nvidia 6xxx environment with DVI out to a Philips
> 1080p LCD and my recommendation would be to blow off the canned
> settings and make a custom one.

> 3. Bob (2x) is by far the best deinterlacer with the sharpest playback and
> the least amount of artifact.

Wonderful, ain't it? I've said it before and I'll say it again: Better
than settop-box output.

> This "bob" is minimized by going the opengl route.

Your frontend is faster than my Pentium 4 3.0GHz; mine can't use the
OpenGL renderer.

	I'm running an AMD 4200+ 64 dual core. Not sure how that compares
	but it works for me! It may have more to do with my Nvidia 6xxx
	equipped motherboard, I suspect.

> 5. None of the "HW" deinterlace settings that become available with
> Standard/opengl work. I wonder if this is expected?

This is because your 6xxx, like mine, is too slow. A pity, because
from what I hear Yadif and Greedy are *better* than Bob.

	The "soft" versions of Greedy and Yadif work on 0.21 fine on
	my setup but both look terrible. Worse than linear or blend.
	Bob is still the king!

st