[mythtv-users] iMac as possible Frontend?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Mar 7 19:17:36 UTC 2008

On Mar 7, 2008, at 11:46 AM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> They are still in heavy use - again, for legacy reasons. People who
> use software that hasn't ported over to Intel architecture will pay a
> premium for a G5. For instance, lots of recording studios were
> hoarding G5's because ProTools didn't run on Intel until recently. So
> now you either get to keep all your old ProTools stuff which is
> perfectly fine and upgrade to the fastest processor you can support
> with it (a G5) or you can upgrade ProTools and possibly your recording
> hardware to support the Intel architecture for a LOT more money. Oh,
> and if you buy a new machine you also have to buy OS X.4 for another
> $129 or whatever it is because ProTools for Intel won't run on Leopard
> yet. :)
>
> This is just one example because I happen to be familiar with it, but
> I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Yep. A LOT of medical and Dental office software was written for Macs,
and the vendors are either out of business or want a LOT of money for
an update to something that will run on Intel CPUs. It's far cheaper
for these folks to pay even inflated prices for PPC hardware than to
pay for the software upgrades (either by hiring a programmer or paying
for updates).

Of course, eventually these folks will have to upgrade, and I suspect
it will not get any cheaper, so it's really false economy.

The elimination of Classic support in Leopard is stopping a lot of
people from moving to that OS which, as you pointed out, creates
problems with new machines.

Of course finding things like printers that will work with OS-9 or
classic is a problem too.

beww